Home of Writing, Editing & Proofreading
How to revise your Personal Statement
Revising is a sign of a sharp writer. Making changes and edits can make a piece stronger and can offer better and more concise personal statements. It can help to pare down a statement that may be over the word limit or one that seems to wander a bit in the middle of the statement. Here are some tips for revising your personal statement:
- Reread and revise seven times if possible. The more revision the better because there are word choices and punctuation that can be fixed and might not be caught with a cursory read through. Don’t worry if some readings don’t yield many changes because it is possible that the next time you might change a word or two.
- Read your piece aloud because it can be easier to hear a mistake or a wordy awkward sentence when it is read aloud. You can do it into a recorder or look into a mirror as if you are reading to someone.
- Have a reader look it over after you have done one or two revisions. Choosing someone that you trust like a teacher, peer reviewer, counselor, friend or parent can make the process an easier one.
- Refer to the instructions, if there are any about the personal statement to make sure that your piece is conforming to the requirements.
- Revise the content. Make sure that you can add substance where possible. It will make the statement more interesting and well written.
- Keep slang out of the statement.
- If space is an issue, then experiment with some font and sizes in a revision to make sure it will fit where it is needed.
- Check for grammar and mechanics—check for subject/verb agreement and for run on sentences and for confused terms like affect or effect.
- Make sure the tone of the piece is what you intend it to be. A writer has an attitude about a subject. Making sure that the attitude is conveyed properly is important. Having a reader can help because she can question how you have phrased something if it sounds too heavy or not like you at all.
When revising a personal statement it is important to be objective and careful so the piece can get stronger with more revisions. Reading it aloud or having a trusted reader give feedback can make your personal statement shine.
College writing tips
Enjoy these guides, manuals and how-to's free of charge. They were all prepared by professional and experienced academic and business writers for the sake of struggling college and university students around the world.
- Writing an essay is frustrating
- Standard research paper layout
- How to succeed with your writing
- Argumentative essay help
- Albert Einstein papers online
- Writing peace essays
For college students
Quick and quality essay writing service - Qessay.com
Get your essay written with this service.
- Read: About essay writing
- Buy: Essay writing service
- Learn: Essay writing guide
- Order: Essays online.
- Purchase essay services for cheap.
If you need extra help with your essay or research paper project do not hesitate to contact us at info@WordPeddler.com